Monday, March 3, 2014

safety in silence.

i am a buyer of this lie that often crosses my mind:

"there is safety in silence"

it soars to the rafters of my head and wriggles its way down to my heart. this lie that says if i don't speak, write, or express, i will remain unharmed.

so far, this year has been a year of struggling to break the silence. i want so much to write, speak, or express how i felt when i found out my mom was in an emergency room six hours away from me. or how much my heart has been broken over my little sister. or how much i long to hear the still, small Voice. or how all i've been hearing instead are the loud, obnoxious, powerless voices that originate from my heart's deepest fears. this silence has grown like kudzu and wrapped itself around my mind until the words are trapped and lost in the vines.

i feel so ready for those words to "roar" out of me.
to crash onto the page, the paper, the surface, the atmosphere.

there is no safety in silence.
instead, silence is only the over-indulgence of my heart's deceptions and fears.
i know that to be true now.
the real challenge is to know what comes next.
i am so hurt and the prospect of further hurt-the possible coincidence of speaking,writing, expressing what's on my heart-is almost too much for my vulnerable self.

it is a tricky thing to believe silence is best. i feel like i am relearning how to speak.


4 comments:

  1. This sounds all too familiar. Find a few minutes to meditate in your car, then blare some uplifting music and sing till it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Emily. I'd never read that poem before, but I needed to. Keep writing and breaking the silence :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear, SHOUT! WRITE! SING! let it out. I find that I sometimes use silence as a crutch for a non-existing injury imagined by my fears. I understand what you said in the last sentence. I locked up my voice last year when I was apathetic and believed in a fake injury. As I tore the lies away, I was scared to speak to people my own age, because I couldn't remember how to not be afraid or worried. I love you! Be bold!

    ReplyDelete