Thursday, April 12, 2012

fifteen

no one ever told me what to do with death.

should I tip-toe around it?
like it's some petulant child that will lash out at any moment.
selfishly stealing things that I love and declaring in a triumphant voice "mine!"

should I take arms and fight it?
battle against it and its unwilling ally named time.
beat against it with my fists, knowing all the while death will win.

should I ignore it the same way I ignore my breathing while I sleep?
it happens, it comes, I can't stop it.
so why acknowledge it.

I do not know, no one ever told me.

instead I cradle death in my arms and weep over it.
it's not a petulant child, a terrible enemy, or something I take for granted now.

I hold it and I weep.

death is just a babe, conceived by sin and man.
God uses it to take the ones He wants.
and He takes.
and He takes.
and He takes.

so I still have to learn what to do with death.
no one has told me what is right.

2 comments:

  1. girlie, you are way-wise beyond your years....
    you hold LOOSELY in your hands, unclenching.... palms up.
    and then you live IN every single moment because there will never be enough time. and each bit of pain that God hands you, is one link in the chain that is dropped and the brings you closer to Him. The closer you get, the less afraid you grow, until you don't fear it anymore, you look forward to that Great One Day when all will be made new.

    Steward your time well. Only Eternity matters. This, you already know.

    xoxo
    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Dear God,
    I am so afraid to open my clenched fists!
    Who will I be when I have nothing left to hold on to?
    Who will I be when I stand before you with empty hands?
    Please help me to gradually open my hands
    and to discover that I am not what I own,
    but what you want to give me.”


    ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen


    {i LOVE this quote....}

    ReplyDelete