Saturday, June 12, 2010

Look at me, blogging twice in one week...

So proud.
LOTS of things to talk about, so this might be super long.

First, this week was music camp at my church.
My great friend, Bethany, and I were teachers of the 1st graders.
All 29 of them.
It was such a great experience. Granted, I was secretly terrified the first day I was there. Bethany was gone and I only had one adult helper in my class. It turned out fantastic. I love all of the kids I got to spend time with. I definitely hope that I can teach again next year.
Second thing, I have been keeping up with my projects, believe it or not. This week's project was a headband thing. I'll post a picture someday.
Third, and finally, Here's some silly thoughts on mankind
Okay, have you noticed that our generation is becoming more and more "Hipster"?
In the beginning (of...time itself...not really), there was a select group of people who wanted to go against the flow and such. They were labeled "hippies".
Then the whole generation became "hippie". Thus the 60's and 70's.
Then the 80's came. And everyone wanted to rebel. So the new "hippies" were actually "punks".
Then the 90's. I don't know what happened there. Normalcy I guess.
Throughout the early 2000's, while the majority of the world was confused, a small group of people (we'll call them "hipsters") were themselves. They went against the system by listening to retro music or creating music themselves, instead of tuning into the radio. Now our generation is becoming "hipster". Suddenly, it is cool to knit your own hats or patch your own jeans. Clothes are now made to look like they're vintage or from a thrift store. Musicians who have always been "Pop" are making they're music more "indie" sounding. As a whole, this generation is becoming more individualistic...or so they think.
By sticking it to the man and being "hipster", we're actually being sucked into the mainstream. CRAZY HUH?
All this to say, the people who are truly "hipster" or "indie" or "folksy" (or whatever floats your boat) are the people who are genuinely themselves. People who are the way they are because that's who they are. Not because that's who they're trying to be.
Andywho,
I'm going to go watch a movie now.
Thanks for reading this far. If you did...
Mary Em
p.s. If you haven't, check out the Broken Bells. They're pretty rad.

1 comment:

  1. one of my old highschool friends has been trying to give away a Broken Bells ticket. had no idea you liked, or I'd of given you a heads up!

    ReplyDelete