Sunday, March 4, 2012

winter

something from my "streams of consciousness" or whatever it is I write all the time.

I thought I'd share before the spring.


I've always loved winter.
I used to like it because that's when Christmas is and I was a selfish little kid who wanted to fill myself with sweets and get lots of presents. When I got older I liked winter because it meant seeing family and no school and laughing a lot. When I hit high school, I liked it because I thought it was cool and a little bit edgy- because, I mean, who really likes winter anyway?
Although time has passed and I've gotten a little bit older, I still love winter.
It's still my favorite.
I love it because it's a reflection of where I am in life- really it's a reflection of where all of humankind is(andhasbeen) in life.
Winter is cold.
Winter is bare.
Underneath the beautiful clothing of soft white snow and grey days is a deep sort of ugliness. It has all the potential to be stunning-it just depends on the viewer.
The most common thread between winter and man is that they are both waiting, longing, hoping, dreaming about Spring.
Spring-when life begins.
Spring-when earth and men are how they should be- lovely and blooming.
But the dead silence of winter and of man has to happen before the life of Spring and eternity.
The heart has to be completely cold before it can be warmed with light and live.
So that's why I love winter.
It is the only season I can empathize with.

praedicare veritatem.
proclaim truth.

1 comment:

  1. That has almost made me like winter, but I am still a summer lover.

    ReplyDelete